What happened to the Galveston Court of Appeals?

The First District Court of Appeals at Galveston (also known as the Galveston Court of Appeals) was one of the three original Texas courts of appeals, the other two being the Second District Court of Appeals at Fort Worth and the Third District Court of Appeals at Austin. From 1892 until 1957, the Galveston Court of Appeals was located in the historic Galveston County Jail, which was built in 1878, at the corner of 20th and Winnie Streets. The First District Court of Appeals moved from Galveston to Houston in 1957 was then known as the Houston Court of Appeals. Ten years later, the Texas Legislature created a second Houston court of appeals, the Fourteenth District Court of Appeals at Houston, making Houston the only city in Texas with two intermediate courts of appeals.

Back to Frequently Asked Questions

DISCLAIMER